Hello guys in this guide, I am gonna tell you about Fix ‘Antimalware Service Executable is Causing High CPU Usage’ Issue. So read this article, step by step so you may understand it in a better way.
Guide: Fix ‘Antimalware Service Executable is Causing High CPU Usage’ Issue
The Antimalware Service executable is a background process within Windows that manages Windows Defender. It’s been around since Windows 7 and should run silently in the background. So quiet you don’t even have to know it’s there. Unfortunately, it tends to take over when it shouldn’t. This results in everything up up to 80% CPU usage. If your anti-malware services executable is causing high CPU usage, here’s how how to Fix it.
As mentioned, Antimalware Service Executable is part of Windows Defender. It is the part that provides Real-Time Protection and checks your computer for nefarious code or anything that can cause damage. It is usually triggered when you use your network card or plug in a USB drive as the real-time aspect needs to work quickly.
What should happen is that the antimalware service executable will be launched as soon as your computer becomes idle. Then, if you do anything to get it out of idle, the service should stop and wait for the next idle state. Sometimes this process goes wrong and is not recognized correctly when the computer is no longer idle. That’s where high CPU usage happens.
There are two main ways to stop Antimalware Service executable which causes high CPU usage. The first is to change the way schedule scans work and the second is to disable Windows Defender altogether.
back to menu ↑
Change the scan properties of the Antimalware Service Executable
The easiest way to keep the Antimalware Service executable from taxing your CPU is to change the way it works.
- Navigate to Control Panel, Administrative Tools and Task Scheduler.
- Navigate to the library in the left pane and then to Microsoft, Windows, Windows Defender.
- Highlight ‘Windows Defender scheduled scan’ in the center panel and click Properties in the lower right panel.
- Uncheck all the boxes checked in the window that appears. You should see ‘Start the task only when the computer is idle for:’ ‘Start the task only when the computer is running on AC power’ and other options. Some or all can be selected.
This method should prevent the scheduled scan from taking over when you take your computer out of idle, but will not stop Windows Defender from working otherwise.
back to menu ↑
Turn off Windows Defender
I personally don’t use Windows Defender. There are much better and much more competent malware scanners and antivirus programs out there. Many of them are also free and I use a few of them in a multi-layered approach. You should only perform this step if you have other protections.
- Install a competent and trusted third-party antivirus and / or malware scanner.
- Right-click on an empty area of your taskbar and select Task Manager.
- Select the Services tab and click the Open Services text link.
- Find the three Windows Defender services, stop and disable them or switch to Manual.
That will definitely stop the antimalware service executable, causing high CPU usage!back to menu ↑
Fix ‘Antimalware Service Executable is Causing High CPU Usage’ Issue: benefits
- The Fix ‘Antimalware Service Executable is Causing High CPU Usage’ Issue tutorial is free .
- This guide already helps so many users follow up with interest in a timely manner.
- The price of the Fix ‘Antimalware Service Executable is Causing High CPU Usage’ Issue guide is free.
Tutorial summary of Fix ‘Antimalware Service Executable is Causing High CPU Usage’ Issue
How this tutorial helping you?
What is actual time in which this method complete?
What are the supported Device?
back to menu ↑
I hope you like the guide Fix ‘Antimalware Service Executable is Causing High CPU Usage’ Issue. In case if you have any query regards this article you may ask us. Also, please share your love by sharing this article with your friends.
For our visitors: If you have any queries regards the Fix ‘Antimalware Service Executable is Causing High CPU Usage’ Issue, then please ask us through the comment section below or directly contact us.
Education: This guide or tutorial is just for educational purposes.
Misinformation: If you want to correct any misinformation about the guide “Fix ‘Antimalware Service Executable is Causing High CPU Usage’ Issue”, then kindly contact us.
Want to add an alternate method: If anyone wants to add more methods to the guide Fix ‘Antimalware Service Executable is Causing High CPU Usage’ Issue, then kindly contact us.
Our Contact: Kindly use our contact page regards any help. You may also use our social and accounts by following us on Whatsapp, Facebook, and Twitter for your questions. We always love to help you. We answer your questions within 24-48 hours (Weekend off).
Channel: If you want the latest software updates and discussion about any software in your pocket, then here is our Telegram channel.