Check tutorial of How to Make a Bootable OS X Yosemite Beta USB Install Drive
So after a lot of requests from our users here is a guide about How to Make a Bootable OS X Yosemite Beta USB Install Drive.
Now that the OS X Yosemite Beta is available to the public (you can still draw up and download it if you are interested in running the beta version on your Mac), you may want to create a bootable installation drive from an external USB flash disk to ease installation. Of course, you can always just copy the “Install OS X Yosemite Beta” application to other Macs and run it directly from the application folders of different machines, but the bootable installer option gives you multiple benefits; you can wipe and partition drives directly from the bootable drive, you can run clean Yosemite Beta installations, and you can create a single USB key to install Yosemite on multiple Macs. These aspects make installation drives particularly preferred for many advanced users, but it can be useful for anyone, even beginners.
Quick side note: try this one if you’re having trouble downloading the Yosemite Beta tips to solve the download problems.
Creating a bootable installation disc for OS X Yosemite Beta from a USB stick or external volume is really quite easy, and the requirements are pretty straightforward too. You need the following:
- 8GB + USB drive that you don’t mind formatting
- The OS X Yosemite Beta installer app downloaded on the Mac, is in the / Applications / folder (that means you have downloaded the installer but haven’t used it yet, using the installer app it will be removed automatically upon completion )
- A Mac that can run Yosemite, which is basically any Mac that can run Mavericks
Once you’ve met those basics, you can create the bootable installer and then use it to launch the beta version of Yosemite.
How to Build a bootable OS X Yosemite Beta Installer Drive
Creating a bootable Yosemite beta installer uses the same createinstallmedia trick dat works with OS X Mavericks bootable installers, the only difference being the file naming convention.
- Download the OS X Yosemite Beta Installer from the App Store (you must be a registered beta program participant, you can up the understanding)
- When the splash screen opens, close the installer app – DO NOT install Yosemite just yet
- Run Disk Utility from the / Applications / Utilities / folder
- Connect the 8GB + USB drive to the Mac
- From Disk Utility, erase the USB drive as Mac OS Extended
- Still in Disk Utility, go to “Partitions” and click on ‘Options’ to set the partition table as GUID – this is necessary to make the drive bootable
- Now launch Terminal, also found in / Applications / Utilities /
- Enter the following command string and change the DRIVENAME syntax to match the name of the external USB drive you want to use as the bootable installer *:
- Let the bootable installation process complete, it will go through the process of wiping the drive, copying the installation files and making it bootable (no that’s not superfluous). When it says ‘Ready’. and you’re back at the command prompt, you’re good to go
sudo / Applications / OS X install Yosemite Beta.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia –volume / Volumes / DRIVENAME –applicationpath / Applications / OS X install Yosemite Beta.app –no interaction
* Make sure to replace “DRIVENAME” with the name of the external USB drive to become the bootable installer – DO NOT use the name of your hard drive, this will overwrite the data on the target drive, so make sure you select the correct one here. volume name – in our example we used “YosemiteInstaller”, but you can use whatever you want, or choose the “Untitled” option which is the default after formatting a drive.
Now that you’ve finished creating the bootable installer, you can proceed to install it on any Mac (s) you want.
Always back up the Mac with Time Machine or your preferred backup method before you start. We don’t recommend installing Yosemite Beta as your primary Mac OS without at least partitioning the drive so you can double boot OS X between Yosemite and Mavericks, but you can also install Yosemite on an external hard drive if you have the want to keep experience separate.
Boot from the OS X Yosemite USB drive and install OS X 10.10 Beta
You supported up the Mac, right? Okay good, now here is how to use the bootable installer to get Yosemite up and running on the target computer:
- Connect the USB drive to the Mac in question and restart the computer by pressing and holding the OPTION key to up the boot selection menu
- Choose “OS X Yosemite” and follow the installation instructions
- IMPORTANT: Don’t forget to select the Yosemite partition or external drive, otherwise Yosemite Beta will be installed on top of your primary Mac OS X installation – that’s not a good idea, this is a beta version and subject to bugs and quirks
That’s all there is to it. Enjoy beta testing OS X Yosemite and don’t forget to submit bug reports and feedback requests! This is a public beta for a reason, Apple is specifically looking for tests, feedback, opinions, and suggestions from a wider variety of users, meaning this is your chance to make your voice heard and maybe even the future of OS X to give shape!
How to Make a Bootable OS X Yosemite Beta USB Install Drive Guide is free?
This guide is a free model
Free Trial: May be included, please check on the official site, we mentioned above.
The How to Make a Bootable OS X Yosemite Beta USB Install Drive tutorial price is Free or Freemium. This means you can truly enjoy the How to Make a Bootable OS X Yosemite Beta USB Install Drive guide.
The How to Make a Bootable OS X Yosemite Beta USB Install Drive guide gives you an easy-to-use and efficient management and How to Make a Bootable OS X Yosemite Beta USB Install Drive allows you to focus on the most important things. It’s friendly guide to use maybe you will love it and How to Make a Bootable OS X Yosemite Beta USB Install Drive tutorial can be used on Linux, Windows or android devices.
How to Make a Bootable OS X Yosemite Beta USB Install Drive: benefits
- The How to Make a Bootable OS X Yosemite Beta USB Install Drive tutorial is free .
- Helps many users follow up with interest in a timely manner.
- The price of the How to Make a Bootable OS X Yosemite Beta USB Install Drive guide is free.
How to Make a Bootable OS X Yosemite Beta USB Install Drive: FAQ
Tutorial Summary: How to Make a Bootable OS X Yosemite Beta USB Install Drive
How this tutorial helping you?
What is actual time in which this method complete?
What are the supported Device?
What are the supported Operating system?
How to Make a Bootable OS X Yosemite Beta USB Install Drive Tutorial: final note
For our visitors: If you have any queries regards the How to Make a Bootable OS X Yosemite Beta USB Install Drive, then please ask us through the comment section below or directly contact us.
Education: This guide or tutorial is just for educational purposes.
Misinformation: If you want to correct any misinformation about the guide “How to Make a Bootable OS X Yosemite Beta USB Install Drive”, then kindly contact us.
Want to add an alternate method: If anyone wants to add the more methods to the guide How to Make a Bootable OS X Yosemite Beta USB Install Drive, then kindly contact us.
Our Contact: Kindly use our contact page regards any help. You may also use our social and accounts by following the Whatsapp, Facebook, and Twitter for your questions. We always love to help you. We answer your questions within 24-48 hours (Weekend off).
Channel: If you want the latest software updates and discussion about any software in your pocket, then here is our Telegram channel.