Dr. C. A. Harper has purchased from E. J. Foster, for $6,300, the old Durrie homestead on North Carroll Street; the lot is 66-by-132 feet and is considered a bargain. The carpenter shop at the junction of South Hamilton and Fairchild streets, so long in the hands of the late S. L. Chase, is now conducted by Henry Skidmore. Yesterday afternoon after James Gallagher received bruises by the giving way of a portion of the platform at Angle Worm Station, he lost a pocketbook containing between $4 and $5.
Williamson Street is made happy by the fact William Mueller has opened a first-class bakery down there. Hundreds of dead trees are seen along the Lake Mendota Drive. Last summer’s drought killed them.
Suggestion For You:
A man engaged in painting telegraph poles along the business portion of Main Street attracts the attention of scores of people who have nothing else to do. This State Journal local news roundup ran on Aug. 1, 1896:
North Henry Street, from Mifflin to State, is to be greatly improved, and the residences on it are to be accommodated with a sewerage system. The work of macadamizing West Dayton Street, from Henry to Broom, will be commenced at an early date. The next thing for amusement lovers will be a Woodman’s picnic at Cross Plains on Sunday. Madison will furnish the orator in the person of Mr. E. W. De Bower.
The News Highlights
- Dead Trees and Missing Money – State Journal Report 125 Years Ago | Column
- Check the latest News news updates and information about business, finance and more.
For Latest News Follow us on Google News
- Show all
- Trending News
- Popular By week