“As of now he is the only one,” Boone said. New York manager Aaron Boone made the announcement after Monday night’s 7-1 loss to the Baltimore Orioles. He said he was told of the positive test in the second inning. Earlier this month, star slugger Aaron Judge was among six Yankees players who tested positive for coronavirus.
Share to FacebookShare to TwitterEmail this article • 2 min read
NEW YORK — Yankees ace Gerrit Cole has tested positive for COVID-19 and will not make his scheduled start Tuesday, the latest virus setback for the team. August 3, 2021, 3:13 AM
Boone said Nestor Cortes Jr. likely will start in place of Cole against the Orioles on Tuesday night. Cortes has no record and a 1.93 ERA in three starts and eight relief appearances for the Yankees this season. The Yankees’ first game after the All-Star break on July 15 against Boston was postponed because of their virus outbreak. The 30-year-old Cole is in his second season with the Yankees.
Cole is 10-6 with a 3.11 ERA in 21 starts. The four-time All-Star is coming off a 14-0 loss at Tampa Bay on July 29 in which he allowed eight runs in 5 1/3 innings. “Definitely it’s tough. It’s been a tough year. We got this news with Cole and definitely a low blow there,” Yankees catcher Gary Sánchez said through an interpreter.
The News Highlights
- Gerrit Cole, ace of the Yankees, tests positive for COVID-19
- Check the latest Health news updates and information about health.
For Latest News Follow us on Google News
- Show all
- Trending News
- Popular By week