The QR code system is part of the e-construction permit platform used for the application of building plans and construction permits. NMS deputy director-general Kangethe Thuku on Friday said they have decided to suspend the use of the QR code system to fix the problem.
Scores of city developers may have been issued with illegal approvals for their development plans following a cyberattack on the Nairobi Metropolitan Services platform. The NMS has since suspended the use of the online development plans approval system.
The Kenya Alliance of Residents Association had raised concerns about the construction of buildings in zoned off areas, especially in Muthaiga North. “We discovered that the e-construction system was recently hacked. We have stopped using that system for the time being as we look for a solution,” Thuku said.
On March 18, 2020, President Uhuru Kenyatta while establishing the NMS directed director-general Mohammed Badi to streamline projects development and clear approvals backlog.
The online QR code system launched on March 29, 2020, provides a unique identification of all approved architectural and structural plans. It eliminates the need for property developers to submit hard copies of development plans for stamping upon approval.
The system was meant to address hitches within City Hall’s planning department that led to the suspension of officials who were responsible for issuing building approvals. The suspension led to approvals being halted in August last year. During this period, the value of approved housing projects dropped from Sh210 billion in 2018 to Sh141.27 billion in 2019.
The News Highlights
- Hackers provide unlawful NMS clearance to city developers
- Check the latest update on Security news
For Latest News Follow us on Google News
- Show all
- Trending News
- Popular By week