“Safe to say the investigation will find this isn’t over,” Africa said. “From the beginning I stated that they found (the remains of) two people and there were 11 people that were murdered. How can we be sure there aren’t more remains to be found?” “They found out that the remains had not been incinerated, that they still have them and that, that was pretty much it,” Africa said. “They said that they were supposed to be (incinerated) but someone didn’t follow the orders,” Africa said. Africa had earlier described Farley’s disposal of his family’s remains made him “sick to my stomach” and said the news was hurtful and traumatizing.
“I am relieved that these remains were found and not destroyed, however I am also very sorry for the needless pain that this ordeal has caused the Africa family. There are many unanswered questions including why the remains were not cremated as Dr. Farley directed. There are also clearly many areas for improvement in procedures used by the Medical Examiner’s Office.” Kenney said that the family members had been informed of the discovery.
Mike Africa, Jr. a member of the MOVE group who knew and is related to victims who died in the bombing, told CNN that it was unclear how many people’s remains had been discovered in the box. On Friday, Kenney issued another statement to say that staff in the Medical Examiner’s office had discovered a box labeled MOVE. “After comparing the contents of the box to an inventory of bone specimens and fragments from 2017, they appear to be the remains thought to have been cremated four years ago,” the statement said.
In a statement, Farley alleged that Gulino had found remains from some of the MOVE bombing victims and, believing that any subsequent investigation into their deaths had long been completed, he instructed Gulino to dispose of the bones and bone fragments. “I profoundly regret making this decision without consulting the family members of the victims and I extend my deepest apologies for the pain this will cause them,” Farley said of the disposal, which happened in 2017. CNN has reached out to Gulino for comment.
The city’s Chief Medical Examiner, Dr. Sam Gulino, has been placed on administrative leave pending a full investigation, Kenney said. Gulino was not fired because he is a civil servant and is subject to a different process for any potential discipline, according to the mayor. “They desecrated the lives, the flesh of people,” he said. “They’re desecrating their tombs and desecrating their corpses. The desecration continues. It’s a travesty. It’s an atrocity. It’s egregious.”
The News Highlights
- Philadelphia official resigned after saying that he had cremated the remains of the victims of the MOVE bombing. But the story is not over
- Check the latest Health news updates and information about health.
For Latest News Follow us on Google News
- Show all
- Trending News
- Popular By week