“To do this, we need to run all of our current state’s basic education funding in a fair manner, and we need to ensure that this adjustment does not result in the loss of $ 1 in state funding.” “This is where we have the opportunity to bring education funding into the 21st century, where it belongs,” Wolff said. House Democratic leader Joanna McClinton, Senate Democratic leader Jay Costa, Senate Democratic budget chair Matthew Bradford, Senate Democratic budget chair Vincent Hughes , And additional Democratic legislators, education professionals, and interested parties have gathered at the Senate step to provide support for reform.
If the state does not fund the school district, property taxes will be raised to make up for the lack of funding. “This unfair school funding system is failing students, teachers and communities. It’s unacceptable. You need to correct past mistakes and invest comprehensively in working education funding. There is. “
The “fair financing method” was enacted in 2016, but it only applies to new financing. Last year, only 11 percent ($ 700 million) of state funding used this formula. The remaining 89% continued to use the old formula. “Pennsylvania school funding is still based on registration 30 years ago and hasn’t been renewed for generations,” said Governor Wolf.
Our content is free, but journalists are working hard. 100% of your contribution to NorthcentralPa.com is directed directly to helping you cover important news and events in our area. Thanks for saying that local news is important! Donate today In addition to promoting funding reforms, the Legislature is promoting accountability reforms for bipartisan charter schools that set charter school performance standards and change the way they raise funds, estimated annually 3 We are saving $ 995 million.
“All our federal students deserve an opportunity to succeed. That’s what parents want their children to do, and what Pennsylvania needs for our future.” “I’m honored to stand with a dedicated legislative leader who wants our federation to invest in our students,” Wolff continued.
The News Highlights
- State Democrats Call for School Funding Reforms | education
- Check the latest News news updates and information about business, finance and more.
For Latest News Follow us on Google News
- Show all
- Trending News
- Popular By week