“We were tracking pretty well. “We’ve been very focused on finding efficiencies within the business and also looking to grow revenues. “A relocation of this size – 13 teams relocated and their families – and the adjustments we’re having to make for safety and security is significant.
Despite the off-field drama, Abdo remains confident the NRL will remain in strong financial health. The hastily rescheduled draw comes after the NRL relocated 13 teams to South East Queensland as the COVID situation in New South Wales deteriorates.
“We worked pretty hard through the first half of this year to recover from last year,” he said on The Footy Show on Channel Nine on Sunday morning. Three games scheduled for Saturday will now be played on Sunday, while Sunday’s matches have been delayed until Monday.
“We’re fortunate we built up our cash reserves and we had a really strong first half of the year,” he said. “Our forecast is that we’ll be able to withstand this with the reserves that we have. Abdo said the changes made by head office in 2020 when the pandemic first hit are bearing fruit.
“We don’t have crowds and that impacts clubs a great deal. Of course the relocation costs are significant.” “The impact on the game is material.
The News Highlights
- ‘We will take it’ – Andrew Abdo optimistic about the NRL’s financial health
- Check the latest News news updates and information about business, finance and more.
For Latest News Follow us on Google News
- Show all
- Trending News
- Popular By week