OnePlus is preparing a new flagship phone, “OnePlus 6T”, which should be launched later this month. The new phone marks the boldest design change of OnePlus: removal of the 3.5mm headphone jack. The co-founder and CEO of OnePlus, Pete Lau, finally explained why the company had chosen to do so after resisting the latest editions of OnePlus 6 and OnePlus.
Speaking to CNET, Pete Lau admitted that removing the 3.5mm headphone jack was “one of the toughest decisions” for the company. “The most difficult task on a daily basis is to … find a balance between what will ultimately be part of the end product and what needs to be said ‘no’,” he said. The decision, however, is motivated by the new screen unlocking technology that the company has already posted on social media. OnePlus 6T will come with fingerprint technology in the screen.
Although we have already received official confirmation of this feature exchange last month, the company has not officially announced why this decision was made. Speaking through an interpreter, Lau said, “My feelings are, to sum up, complex,” Lau said through an interpreter. “It’s a mix of excitement and anxiety.”
It’s a pretty daring step to remove a port when even OnePlus co-founder Carl Pei asked OnePlus fans, “Do you like headphone jacks?
Do you like headphone jacks? (2017 edition)
— Carl Pei (@getpeid) October 5, 2017
Do you like headphone jacks? ? (2018 edition)
— Carl Pei (@getpeid) March 14, 2018
But Pete Lau thinks the replacement that removing the headphone jack apparently allows will be more than worth it. “After you experience the Screen Unlock you will fall in love with it,” he said. “You’ll realize that it’s the experience that you wanted.”