WinX DVD Ripper Platinum is a commercial software for Windows that extracts DVDs in video formats that can be read by desktops, mobile devices, and standalone devices. DVD ripping may not have the same status as it did years ago while streaming video was in its infancy, but it’s still useful if you want to watch DVD movies purchased on others. devices, such as your smartphone or desktop. A DVD Ripper converts DVD data to another format so that it can be played on devices that do not have a DVD drive.
What Is WinX DVD Ripper Platinum?
WinX DVD Ripper Platinum is a long-standing program for the Windows operating system that provides you with features to extract DVD discs (protected or not) to the computer (from which you can transfer the resulting files and then to another apparatus if necessary). Downloading and installing WinX DVD Ripper Platinum will not surprise you. The installer does not contain any third-party offer and the usual options for creating desktop and boot menu items are provided during installation. The installer will load the WinX DVD Ripper Platinum product page into the default system browser that you can not prevent.
WinX DVD Ripper Platinum Use
The program supports three main operating modes: DVD extraction, VIDEO_TS folder extraction, or ISO image extraction. Before you start using the program, you may want to click the options to view the available preferences. The following options are provided:
- Set the output folder for torn video files. It is set by default on the WinXVideos folder of the user’s video folder on Windows. Depending on the available space on this drive and its speed, you may want to consider changing the output folder.
- Define the snapshot folder containing only images.
- Open the output folder when the conversion job is finished (enabled by default).
- Shut down the computer when all jobs are complete (disabled by default).
- Default audio language. Sets the default audio language used when creating video files.
WinX DVD Ripper Platinum Working
Select a disc, ISO image, or folder on the main toolbar of the program and use the file browser to select the DVD drive, ISO image on a connected hard drive, or the VIDEO_TS folder. The program analyzes the selected data and then displays the output profile selection menu. This menu determines the format, quality, and size of the resulting video file. WinX DVD Ripper Platinum supports many profiles and separates them into a common device, video web, and video/music profiles.
- The device profiles are then divided into groups of manufacturers. The program supports Apple, Android, Microsoft and Sony devices and also lists other manufacturers in the “other devices” category. Once you have selected a manufacturer, a list of supported devices is proposed. An option is always “general”. You must select it if none matches the device on which you want to watch the videos.
- Web video profiles designed for publishing on the Internet (strange addition to a DVD extractor, but may be useful if you are copying home-made video DVDs).
- Common video/music profiles covering use on PCs or Macs.
- The program can also be used to back up discs, duplicate DVD discs in ISO images, or in VIDEO_TS folders.
The application supports most types of video files that a similar program supports, including AVC, AVI, MP4, MPEG, WMV, and MOV (no MKV support though). The default quality setting is set to normal by default. You can also choose low or high quality, which speeds up or slows down the extraction process. You get options to customize the selection later. Once you have selected the initial conversion profile, you will access the main extraction screen.
WinX DVD Ripper Platinum lists all titles on the DVD in its interface and highlights the main title in addition to the one that contains the main movie or the first episode of a TV show, at least for commercial DVDs. Each title is listed with its playback times, proportions, as well as audio and subtitle information. You can select one or more titles and change some settings directly on the screen. You can click the audio next to a title to choose a different audio source, if necessary. The same goes for subtitles, but you can also load an external subtitle file from your system to add it to the title.
There is also a preview option that can be useful if you have trouble finding the right track.
Last but not least, you can choose to merge all the titles you have selected into a single video file or keep them separate. A click on edit next to a title opens the basic editing options:
- Adjust the audio volume.
- Enable internal and additional subtitles and set their position.
- Crop and enlarge the video.
- Trim the video to cut it.
Clicking the gear icon next to the main title opens the options for customizing the video profile. You can use them to edit audio and video codecs, change the frame rate, resolution, bit rate or aspect ratio, or audio sampling rate. Press the Run button once you have customized the conversion settings to start the extraction. The program can also be used to back up discs, duplicate DVD discs in ISO images, or in VIDEO_TS folders.
WinX offers an impressive range of customers and technical support. If you have a problem with the software or with your order, you can contact a representative by email. If you have a technical request, you can check their FAQ section and the knowledge base on their website. The only support option they lack is LiveChat. Overall, WinX DVD Ripper Platinum is a professional, easy-to-use program with enough customization options to suit users of all levels.