While the best Apple Watch Apps with a number of first-party apps, such as the recently rebranded Mindfulness app for watchOS 8, a fully integrated app for tracking sleep, and access to exercise classes through the Apple Fitness+ subscription service, if you look a little further, you’ll find apps for every conceivable niche. There are procrastination applications as well as productivity ones, run mapping apps and travel apps. There are even apps for monitoring your level of hydration and, yes, even your excrement.
But with so many options, we whittled down the top Apple Watch apps by considering user feedback, our own experiences, and features. Simply put, having some apps on your wrist makes more sense than others. The majority of the best Apple Watch apps are also totally free. As new apps are released and existing ones are updated or enhanced, the best Apple Watch apps are constantly changing.
Best Apple Watch Apps Comparison Table
Modify your device’s notification settings so that you only receive alerts from the most important apps. Notifications that aren’t necessary can be a distraction and can bring your watch’s performance down.
|MapMyRun||Fitness||GPS tracking, stats analysis||Precise tracking, social features||Download Now|
|Medications||Health||Medication tracking, reminders||Organizes medication schedules||Download Now|
|PCalc||Utilities||Advanced calculator||Custom functions, unit conversions||Download Now|
|Audible||Entertainment||Audiobooks, offline listening||Wide selection, exclusive content||Download Now|
|Pillow||Health||Sleep tracking, analysis||Detailed insights, smart alarm||Download Now|
Here is the list of Best Apple Watch Apps
This is evidence of how vibrant the Apple Watch app market is. That wasn’t always the case. A short while ago, it appeared as though the Watch had lost its luster, with many well-known apps either lagging behind or being removed entirely. However, it currently appears that the Watch app market is considerably more active. Now check the list of best Apple Watch apps which we mentioned below.
|Fitness Tracking||Track and analyze running routes, distance, pace, and calories burned.|
|GPS Mapping||Utilize GPS to map out running routes and elevation changes.|
|Workout Sharing||Share workout data and achievements with friends and social networks.|
|Audio Coaching||Receive real-time audio cues and coaching during runs.|
|Performance Stats||Monitor progress, speed, and improvements over time.|
One of the greatest fitness applications for the iPhone and Apple Watch is the workout tracking app from Under Armour. If you’ve ever used MapMyRun to track your mileage, using the watch app to continue your training makes perfect sense. MapMyRun tracks a variety of workouts, including outdoor and treadmill runs, walks, and bike rides, using the watch’s integrated GPS and heart rate monitor. Throughout each workout, the app shows your mileage, time, pace, and heart rate.
The MyFitnessPal app from Under Armour may be linked to MapMyRun to provide a comprehensive view of your activity and health. That can be helpful if you’re aiming to lose weight or reach a training objective. MapMyRun may be connected to the range of Bluetooth-enabled Under Armour shoes for more in-depth information, such as whether you land on the ball of your foot or your heel when you run on the ground. Overall, this is one of the best apple watch apps that you can check right now.
- Accurate GPS tracking for running and other activities.
- Comprehensive workout analysis including distance, pace, and elevation.
- Social features for sharing and connecting with a fitness community.
- Integration with other fitness apps and devices.
- Some advanced features require a subscription.
- Frequent use may drain device battery.
|Medication Tracking||Keep track of medication schedules, doses, and reminders.|
|Prescription Info||Store information about medications, doctors, and pharmacies.|
|Refill Reminders||Receive reminders for prescription refills and appointments.|
|Medication History||Maintain a history of past medications and treatments.|
|Health Record||Document medication-related notes for personal reference.|
Every time Apple publishes a new watchOS version, a group of app developers cries because features that were previously exclusively accessible through third-party apps are now included into the OS. Although there are still many third-party options, it happened with sleep tracking apps first, and it is currently happening with medicine tracking applications.
You can now use the Medications app on your Apple Watch to remind you to take your medications and keep track of when you do so if you need to remain on top of a drug regimen. You must access the Health app on your iPhone in order to set up medications. For simple identification, you can also select an image of a certain medicine. Then, your phone and Apple Watch will remind you at the designated times, giving you the option to report that you’ve taken all of your medications, some of them, or none at all. After being shared with the Health app, this information can subsequently be shared with family members or medical professionals.
- Helps manage and organize medication schedules effectively.
- Provides reminders for taking medications on time.
- Tracks medication history and dosage information.
- Can store information about doctors, pharmacies, and prescriptions.
- Basic features might be available in other apps.
- Might not replace professional medical advice.
|Advanced Calculator||Offers a comprehensive and customizable scientific calculator.|
|Unit Conversions||Perform various unit conversions for different measurement types.|
|Theme Customization||Personalize the app’s appearance with various themes.|
|RPN Calculator||Supports Reverse Polish Notation (RPN) for specific calculations.|
|Custom Functions||Create and save custom functions for specialized calculations.|
Programmers, scientists, students, and engineers looking for an iPhone calculator that is packed with amazing capabilities are advised to try PCalc. Octal, hexadecimal, and binary computations are supported by the calculator. It also has a selection of button arrangement alternatives, an optional RPN mode, and a multi-line display mode. You may easily undo and redo your calculations numerous times with PCalc. It contains a large collection of constants and unit conversions.
Easily one of the best apple watch apps, PCalc is an essential Apple Watch app if you remember and adored Casio’s calculator watch. It’s a calculator, as you would have guessed, on your wrist. It’s easy to use and enables you to add, subtract, divide, multiply, and compute percentages all from the wrist. Although there is a free Lite version, the paid version is more useful than Apple’s built-in calculator for the Apple Watch because it comes with a paper tape, engineering, and scientific notation.
- Advanced scientific and programmable calculator capabilities.
- Supports unit conversions, custom functions, and more.
- Theme customization for personalized look.
- Includes a Reverse Polish Notation (RPN) mode.
- Might be more complex than needed for basic calculations.
- Learning curve for users unfamiliar with advanced functions.
|Audiobook Library||Access to a vast library of audiobooks across various genres.|
|Offline Listening||Download audiobooks for offline listening convenience.|
|Bookmarks and Notes||Add bookmarks and make notes while listening to audiobooks.|
|Audible Originals||Exclusive content and original audiobook productions.|
|Sync Across Devices||Sync progress and library across different devices.|
With the addition of audiobooks, Audible improves the conventional reading app. An audiobook can be the ideal alternative if you are not a big reader or simply cannot wait to hear the next chapter. There is a ton of stuff available for you to read and hear on Audible in addition to the usual titles and Audible Originals. Additionally, it is not limited to audiobooks.
Additionally, you will have access to podcasts, some of which are only available on the platform, as well as short stories that are read aloud to keep you riveted. Many devices, including the iPhone, iPod touch, Kindle, Sonos, and Fire TV, are compatible with Audible if you want to finish your book when you get home.
- Wide selection of audiobooks spanning various genres.
- Offline listening for convenience on the go.
- Bookmarking and note-taking features for active listening.
- Exclusive Audible Originals content.
- Subscription or individual audiobook purchase required.
- Might not replace reading for some users.
|Sleep Tracking||Monitor sleep patterns, quality, and duration using advanced sensors.|
|Sleep Analysis||Detailed insights into sleep cycles, stages, and disturbances.|
|Smart Alarm||Wake up gently during the optimal phase of your sleep cycle.|
|Heart Rate Tracking||Track heart rate during sleep for additional insights.|
|Integration||Integrates with Apple Health and other health tracking apps.|
Apple did offer native sleep monitoring with watchOS 7, even though I didn’t really think the Apple Watch should have it until the battery life improved. Although the function accomplishes my goal of making sure we get enough sleep, it is unquestionably not very feature-rich. Pillow steps in at this point. The free app Pillow tracks your sleep and provides you with precise information about your sleeping habits, including the length of your overall sleep as well as specific breakdowns of awake time, REM sleep, and other factors.
Additionally, it monitors your heartbeat and offers the option to record noises if you require that functionality. The nicest feature of Pillow is automated sleep tracking, which eliminates the need for you to hit a button to alert the app that you’re about to fall asleep. Additionally, the app offers a ton of Pro features that can be unlocked with a single in-app payment. These features include access to things like heart rate analysis, sleep trends, naps, and more. Currently, this is one of the best apple watch apps that you can check right now.
- Detailed sleep tracking and analysis.
- Offers insights into sleep stages and disturbances.
- Smart alarm feature for gentle wake-ups.
- Integrates with health tracking apps and devices.
- Some advanced features may require a subscription.
- Requires placing the device on your bed for tracking.
|Email Management||Organize and manage emails with smart filtering and categorization.|
|Smart Inbox||Prioritize important emails and categorize newsletters.|
|Quick Replies||Utilize suggested quick replies for efficient communication.|
|Email Scheduling||Schedule emails to be sent at a later time.|
|Collaboration||Share and discuss emails with colleagues using comments.|
One of our favorite email clients on the iPhone is Spark, and it still works well on Apple’s smallest screen. In contrast to some apps that integrate email and calendars, Spark keeps things simple and chooses to concentrate on email in order to provide you with the finest mail management experience on your watch. When you have personal or newsletter emails awaiting you.
Spark on Apple Watch uses the iPhone’s clever mail sorting to show you at a glance. Each of these areas has a sizable, vibrant button that glows when a relevant message falls within that category. You may swiftly decide whether to reply to, snooze, archive, or delete any email after opening and reading it. You can view your whole inbox, pinned emails, your archive, and your sent messages in addition to these areas.
- Intuitive email management with smart inbox features.
- Quick replies and easy access to attachments.
- Collaborative features for sharing and discussing emails.
- Available on multiple platforms and devices.
- Some advanced features might require a subscription.
- May not fully replace more robust email clients for power users.
|Heart Rate Monitor||Measures and tracks heart rate for fitness and health insights.|
|Heart Rate Zones||Analyzes heart rate zones during workouts for targeted training.|
|Real-Time Data||Provides live heart rate data during exercise sessions.|
|Health Metrics||Tracks heart rate variability and other health-related metrics.|
|Data Export||Export heart rate data for further analysis or sharing.|
Even while watchOS now comes with sleep tracking, there is always potential for improvement, and many third-party apps offer more sleep tracking features than what Apple does. Sleep apnea diagnosis is one of the more intriguing new features in the most recent edition of the well-known NapBot sleep tracking app. Due to a sleep disorder called sleep apnea, which can drastically disrupt your sleep and leave you feeling more exhausted the next day, your breathing may pause or become very shallow more frequently than it does for other individuals. Thus, this app is one of the best apple watch apps available right now.
A snapshot of your sleeping patterns and the results of any lifestyle modifications. When the sleep focus mode is activated, your watch’s respiratory rate measurement is available and can be used by NapBot to identify apnea. In addition to providing the expected analysis of your sleep phases, it also monitors environmental sounds so you can determine if outside variables are causing you to have trouble sleeping.
- Tracks heart rate for fitness and health insights.
- Provides real-time data during exercise sessions.
- Analyzes heart rate zones for optimized training.
- Helps monitor heart rate variability.
- Requires compatible heart rate monitoring hardware.
- May not replace dedicated fitness tracking devices.
|Custom Watch Faces||Create and customize dynamic watch faces for Apple Watch.|
|Complications||Add personalized complications with information you need.|
|Widgets||Design widgets for watch faces with customizable content.|
|Automation||Automate watch face changes based on triggers and schedules.|
|Themes and Styles||Apply themes and styles to match your preferences and occasions.|
Do you dislike how bland the interface of your Apple Watch is? If so, this app is unquestionably right for you. You may utilize Watchsmith’s extensive selection of customisable complications to significantly alter how your Apple Watch’s interface appears. You may use the app to store information on your watch, such as weather, date, or astronomy data, so you can access it whenever you choose. You can dynamically schedule the complications you want to highlight to come and vanish in accordance with the principles you specify. For instance, your watch might show the weather as the first thing when you wake up, the date when you’re at work, and so on.
- Customizable watch faces and complications for Apple Watch.
- Offers dynamic content that changes throughout the day.
- Automates watch face changes based on triggers.
- Enhances Apple Watch’s appearance and functionality.
- Available only for Apple Watch users.
- Customization options may be overwhelming for some.
|Digital Art Canvas||Use a digital canvas for sketching, drawing, and digital art.|
|Brush and Pen Tools||Access various brushes and pen tools for creative expression.|
|Layers and Blending||Work with layers and blending modes for advanced art projects.|
|Export and Sharing||Export your artwork in various formats and share with others.|
|Intuitive Interface||User-friendly interface suitable for artists and beginners.|
You should check out Brushout if you frequently find yourself forgetting to clean your teeth or only brushing for two minutes. This software turns the idea of a brushing timer and reminder into a game to keep things interesting. When you begin brushing, the app starts a 2-minute countdown and even uses taptic feedback on your Apple Watch to alert you when it’s time to move on to the next area of your mouth. Your iPhone’s Health app is also linked with the data. Additionally, the app offers a variety of streak prizes that you can earn by remembering to brush your teeth twice a day, every day. Overall, this is one of the best apple watch apps that you can check right now.
- Digital canvas for artistic expression and creation.
- Offers a variety of brushes and tools for different effects.
- Supports layers and blending for advanced artwork.
- Export and share artwork digitally.
- Limited to digital art creation.
- Advanced features might have a learning curve.
|Hydration Tracking||Monitor daily water intake and stay hydrated with reminders.|
|Custom Goals||Set personalized hydration goals based on activity and preferences.|
|Beverage Tracking||Track different types of beverages and their hydration effects.|
|Apple Health Sync||Sync hydration data with Apple Health app for comprehensive tracking.|
|Visualization||Visualize daily and historical hydration progress.|
While less visually appealing than other workout-tracking applications, WaterMinder nevertheless performs a crucial fitness task: monitoring your water. It’s terrific to get in a good long run until you pass out on the sidewalk after forgetting that we require water to survive. You can effortlessly log your water intake with WaterMinder by tapping a single button on your Apple Watch, which keeps you on top of things.
WaterMinder calculates the recommended daily water intake for you based on your current health information. You will be able to track your advancement towards your objective with each entry in the app. You can set a custom smaller or larger amount in the app, but there are pre-filled buttons for eight, fourteen, and seventeen ounces per entry.
- Helps track and maintain daily hydration goals.
- Provides reminders for drinking water throughout the day.
- Tracks various beverages and their hydration effects.
- Integrates with health and wellness apps.
- Some advanced features may require a subscription.
- App reminders might be frequent for some users.
Tips for Maximizing App Performance on Your Apple Watch
Consider these helpful tips that will improve your general experience and make sure your Apple Watch apps run smoothly and efficiently:
- Keep Apps Up-to-Date: Use the App Store on your iPhone to update your apps often. App changes often fix bugs, make the app run better, and add new features that can help the app work better on your watch.
- Optimize Watch Face Complications: Choose watch face complications that give you knowledge that is useful and up-to-date. If your watch has too many parts, it might not work as well. Change the look of your watch so that it only shows the most important information.
- Limit Background App Refresh: If an app doesn’t need real-time changes, turn off background app refresh. This saves battery life and keeps your watch from having to work harder than it needs to.
- Manage Notifications: Change the settings for notifications so that you only get tips from the most important apps. Notifications that aren’t important can distract you and slow down your watch.
How to Find and Install Apple Watch Apps
Installing apps on your Apple Watch is a simple process that lets you make it work better and change how it feels to wear. Here’s a step-by-step guide to finding and downloading apps for your Apple Watch:
- Open the App Store on your Apple Watch: Open the “App Store” app on your iPhone that’s been paired.
- Look at the Featured Apps: Go to the bottom of the App Store screen and click on the “Watch” tab. You can look at the highlighted apps or tap “Discover Watch Apps” to look for apps in a certain category.
- Look for applications: You can look for apps by name or by topics using the search bar. You can also scroll down to see groups of apps that are good for different things.
- Look at the list of apps: Tap on the icon of an app to see information about it and pictures. Check out the app’s description, scores, and reviews to see if it will work for you.
- Make sure it works: Look for the “Offers Apple Watch App” sticker to make sure the app works with Apple Watch. Some apps might not work very well or at all on the watch.
Questions and Answers
A1: Some of the most famous fitness and health tracking apps for Apple Watch are “Activity” for keeping track of daily activities, “MyFitnessPal” for keeping track of calories and nutrition, and “Strava” for keeping track of workouts and sharing them with a community.
A2: Yes, you can listen to music on your Apple Watch without your iPhone by syncing playlists or using streaming apps like “Apple Music” or “Spotify” that allow playback on the watch itself.
A3: Yes, “Apple Maps” gives you turn-by-turn directions right on your watch. Apps like “Google Maps” and “Citymapper” also let Apple Watch users find their way around.