GPS (Global Positioning System) has been helpful to a lot of people for a long time. With GPS on a smartphone, it’s so cool to be able to tell your friends where you are, find a lost phone, track your run, and find your way ‘GPS Not Working’ issue.
That makes it very annoying when the GPS on your Android phone doesn’t work right. If you’re going through this, you’re not alone. Almost everyone has been in this situation, and it’s easy to fix. Here are some things you can try to fix if your Android GPS isn’t working.
5 Ways to Fix ‘GPS Not Working’ Issue on Android
Try a Combination of Solutions
- First, close the apps. Do so by tapping twice on the Home You will see a preview of the apps that you have been using. When you see the image of each app, swipe up to close it. Do this for each app that is currently open.
- Go to Settings, and then enable the Airplane
- Reset the Network Settings, as we detailed in the prior solution.
- Go to Settings, then Privacy, and Location Services. Disable Location Services for a few seconds, and then turn it back on.
- Next, head to Settings, then Privacy, then Location Services. Tap on System Services and turn Time Zone
- Go back to Settings, and then turn off Airplane
Try Turning Off LTE
- Go to Settings.
- Tap on Cellular.
- Hit Cellular Data Options.
- Hit Voice and Data.
- Select the 3G option.
Try Adjusting Airplane Mode
- Go to Settings.
- Enable Airplane Mode.
- Leave it on for about 20 seconds, and then turn it back off. This can be useful in several different situations, not just when you’re having GPS problems. For example, if you see a “No Service” error or your Wi-Fi service is cutting in and out, you could try this as well.
Adjusting battery saver settings on different Android phones
- HTC: Access your phone settings > battery > power saving mode > battery optimization > select EatSleepRIDE (ESR) > don’t optimize > save
- Samsung: Access Battery settings > App Power Saving > Details > EatSleepRIDE (ESR) > Disabled
- Huawei: Turn Energy Settings to Normal and add Strava to “Protected Apps”
- OnePlus: Settings > Device > Battery > Three dot overflow > EatSleepRIDE (ESR) > Toggle ON in the Not Optimized section
Take when troubleshooting GPS
- Turn your phone off/on
- Turn GPS off/on
- Be sure ESR is allowed to use your location. Settings > Apps > EatSleepRIDE (ESR) > Permissions > Toggle Location ON
- Disable any battery saver settings. Including Power Saving Mode, Battery Management or any third party apps. Please see below for more information on your specific device
- Check that your location settings are set to High accuracy. Settings > Location > Set to High Accuracy
- Perform an “AGPS reset”: Install the App GPS Status & Toolbox, then in that app, go to Menu > Tools > Manage A-GPS State > Reset
Fixed: ‘GPS Not Working’ Issue On iPhone
Some users have also found that when they use a certain app, the GPS doesn’t work. But when they switch to a different app, the GPS works fine. In this case, the app must not be working right. Check for updates or delete the app and then reinstall it.
Soft Reset iPhone
Sometimes there may be some software issue with your iPhone, so we can try to soft reset the device. Follow the steps below to perform a soft reset. Soft resetting will not wipe out your iPhone data.
Press and hold the “Sleep/Wake” button and “Home” button simultaneously > Keep pressing them for 10 seconds > After you see the appearing Apple logo, you can release both buttons > The starting up the process of the iPhone will begin and you will see the home screen soon
Reset Network Settings
If the GPS’s signal is poor and the location service won’t work caused by network connection issue, you can reset iPhone network settings to fix the problem.
Go to “Settings” > “General” > “Reset” > “Reset Network Settings”. This reset will erase your saved Wi-Fi passwords, VPN and APN settings on your iPhone.
Check If You Have Good Signal
It is a very important part of figuring out where you are. If you are in a place or building where radio signals are weak or can’t reach, you may run into problems like your iPhone’s GPS not working or poor call connectivity. This is true for people who move somewhere new and find they can’t use GPS. In this case, you should keep checking the GPS as you move around.
The easiest and fastest way to fix your problem is to turn on and off the GPS so that it can update itself. Your phone’s notifications shade is where you can turn the GPS on or off. Find the GPS icon by bringing down the notification shade. Turn it off and wait a minimum of 5 seconds.
Some phones have a battery saver feature, which turns off the GPS when their battery is low. Some phones only do this in particular situations, such as when both the battery is low and the screen is off, or Google Maps is in the background.