The use of a Virtual Private Network (VPN) is turning into commonplace within the know-how of the 21st century. A VPN can maintain your online exercise nameless and safe and supply entry to geographically blocked content material. The drawback is that there isn’t a one-step answer for utilizing a VPN on an Apple TV like with iOS and macOS gadgets. But don’t fret, the re’s nonetheless a approach – right here we’ll present you how to set up and use a VPN on the Apple TV.
It is vital to notice that on this article we describe how you’ll be able to use a explicit function of your VPN subscription to entry geo-blocked video content material equivalent to Netflix, BBC iPlayer and Crunchyroll on your Apple TV, as an alternative of be a full VPN that protects your privateness as regular on a Mac, PC or mobile system.
Instead, you solely use the VPN’s good DNS instrument that adjustments your DNS settings to unblock content material. Here we present you how.
Why ought to I use a VPN on my Apple TV?
Before we clarify how to set up a VPN on your Apple TV, let’s first clarify why you need to do that – together with the disadvantages of utilizing a VPN.
First and foremost, the main use of a VPN is to present customers with community anonymity, however within the case of Apple TV and different streaming gadgets, it’s used to entry geo-blocked video content material from different countries – entry to US Netflix within the UK is usually a want.
And sure, it’s nonetheless potential even supposing Netflix is undermining the use of VPN, however be warned that it’s towards Netflix’s Conclusion and situations and the company has the appropriate to droop your service.
Most VPN suppliers supply a particular server or community that goes round Netflix blocks, all you’ve gotten to do is ask. we’ve got tested this with ExpressVPN and after a fast chat with the 24/7 assist crew, we had been y to join to one that provides entry to Netflix.
Whatever your causes, the excellent news is that it’s potential – and albeit not so troublesome – to set up and use a VPN on your Apple TV.
How to use a VPN on Apple TV
Now you perceive why utilizing a VPN on an Apple TV could be helpful, it is time to clarify how you set it up. The course of is usually the identical for all VPN suppliers, however we are going to use it ExpressVPN for instance right here, as a result of it’s certainly one of our favorites.
- Receive the DNS server IP of your VPN out of your VPN supplier. Some suppliers, equivalent to ExpressVPN, customers present a checklist of VPN-compatible gadgets and DNS settings for every, making it straightforward to discover the gadgets (on this case the Apple TV) that you’re in search of.
- On your Apple TV, go to Settings> General> Apple TV Language (underneath the Language and Region part) and alter your iTunes Store location to the situation of your VPN. If you use ExpressVPN, choose United States.
- On your Apple TV, go to Settings> Network> Wi-Fi and choose your Wi-Fi connection (or wired connection in case you are by way of Ethernet). Select Configure DNS right here and alter it from Automatic to Manual.
- After you alter your DNS to guide, enter the DNS server IP offered by your VPN and choose Done.
- Restart your Apple TV to apply the adjustments.
You ought to now use a VPN on your Apple TV and have entry to content material out of your chosen country! If for any motive you do not need entry to your favorite companies when you find yourself to your VPN, contact your VPN supplier for assist.
Finally, in case you are new to the world of VPNs and you’ve got doubts about their use, we suggest that you simply take a take a look at how you’ll be able to profit from it in our VPN clarification. We additionally share 10 of our favorites in our greatest VPN round-up in the event you determine to make investments.