If a friend or family member struggles with an issue on their iPhone, iPad or Mac, otherwise you simply need to present 1 thing cool or bizarre that the machine is doing however, you possibly can’t be the re, display screen sharing will change into your finest friend. A friend who wants a damaged Mac is certainly a friend, and you may earn lots of brownie factors by repairing it remotely.
It’s not at all times potential to drop by and assist a friend or family member, however, these days it is simpler than ever to assist them remotely. A macOS function known as Screen Sharing permits you to repair somebody’s Mac downside from the consolation of your personal dwelling (and Mac). Screen Sharing permits you to view your friend’s display screen and spotlight the buttons and icons they want to repair it.
Or perhaps you are searching for a manner to share a presentation on your Mac along with your colleagues’ iPads or iPhones. We will check out some apps that you are able to do this beneath. You might also need to share your Mac’s display screen along with your iPad – by which case, a new function arriving in macOS Catalina in 2019 will curiosity you. You can read all about utilizing an iPad as a second display screen to your Mac right here. When the new function arrives, you possibly can mirror your Mac’s display screen on your iPad – in reality, you possibly can entry macOS on your iPad – or you possibly can broaden your display screen to the iPad, for further area and the addition of touchscreen performance on your Mac !
In this function, we’re going to check out some methods to view a Mac’s display screen from 1 other Mac, an iPad or an iPhone. For more recommendation on this subject, see How do I entry a Mac remotely? Additional reporting by Lucy Hattersley and Keir Thomas.
Method 1: Use Screen Sharing on a Mac
If you are each on Macs, the best manner to entry and management your friend or colleague’s display screen is to use the display screen sharing function constructed into macOS.
- Do a Spotlight search (Cmd + area) and enter ‘display screen sharing’ – it affords to autofill as soon as you have typed the primary few letters. Double-click the icon on the appropriate to launch the perform.
- A single subject dialog field labeled “Host Name or Apple ID” will seem. Enter your companion’s Apple ID. An invitation is distributed to them. (If your contacts file does certainly comprise the proper e-mail deal with for that particular person, simply kind the primary few letters of their title after which choose them from the autocomplete choices that seem. Contacts correctly set up for this have their names are marked in blue.)
The invitation seems as a notification on your colleague’s Mac; they need to click on on Accept.
Then choose ‘Control my display screen’ or ‘Observe my display screen’ (relying on whether or not they need you to find a way to see what is going on on or if they’re really controlling their Mac) and settle for.
Your colleague’s desktop seems as a window on your desktop. (If they use 2 screens, as is the case beneath, this window will probably be double the width.) If your colleagues have chosen ‘Control my display screen’, you possibly can really click on on the home windows and icons in Screen sharing and handle the opposite Mac immediately . This permits you to remedy any issues your self.
- In management mode, you can find that efficiency is affected by the pace of each your networks and the opposite particular person’s web connection. So you could have to be affected person. (By default, Screen Sharing adjusts the standard relying on the efficiency of the community.)
- You can zoom in and out, and in order for you to improve your privileges from observe to management, click on the Left choice (a cursor inside circles) labeled Control within the prime left of the window. This will ship a new request that your colleague can settle for or decline. (If it does not seem, click on View> Show Toolbar within the menu.)
When you are accomplished, click on the Screen Sharing icon on 1 of many Mac and select End Screen Sharing.
Method 2: entry a Mac with messages
You can even troubleshoot a friend’s Mac utilizing the Screen Share function in Messages. Screen sharing has been a function of iCloud and CellularMe for a variety of years. But when Mac OS X Mavericks launched, Apple expanded it to embrace your friends. Screen Sharing does not immediately management the opposite Mac remotely, however, you possibly can view the display screen and spotlight areas of the display screen as you discuss by your friend by the answer.
This is what you may have to do.
- You each want to sign up to iCloud (so that you each want to have an Apple ID and know your password). Click System Preferences> iCloud and be sure you’re signed in (if not, enter your Apple ID and password and click on Sign In). Click Create Apple ID if you do not have 1. Your friend additionally wants an Apple ID and also you want to know what it’s. To find out their ID, you possibly can discuss to them through FaceTime and ask them to click on System Preferences> iCloud and read the e-mail underneath their title (it is typically, however, not at all times, an iCloud.com e-mail deal with ). Once you are signed in to iCloud and have your friend’s Apple ID, you are prepared to go.
- Open Messages on your Mac. Tell your friend to open the Messages app on their Mac too.
- Click New Message and enter their Apple ID within the To subject (you may also click on it within the Messages sidebar in the event you’ve beforehand used Messages to chat with them).
- Click on Details within the prime proper nook.
- Click the Share Screen icon (2 small rectangles).
- Choose Prompt to Share Screen from the drop-down menu.
- The different particular person receives a notification asking to share their display screen. Tell them to click on Accept. If you aren’t of their contacts, they need to additionally click on Accept on a warning display screen.
- A window will seem on your desktop with their display screen. Meanwhile, an icon seems of their menu bar with a warning “[Person] view your display screen.
- Click along with your mouse on the window (which shows their display screen) to spotlight a part of their display screen with a highlight circle. This can be utilized to point out areas of the display screen to click on on.
- Use this marker whereas on the phone with them, or FaceTime, to guide them by the working system and present them which buttons to click on and which menu choices to select.
Method 3: Remote Access to a Mac with Chrome Remote Access on an iPad / iPhone
If you are utilizing an iPad (particularly) or an iPhone (in the event you suppose you can also make particulars on the smaller display screen), utilizing distant entry to view and check what’s on your friend’s Mac is an efficient choice. And among the best methods to entry a Mac remotely from an iPad is to use Google’s free Chrome Remote Access service, which permits you to use Mac applications remotely from an iOS machine.
It’s fairly a sophisticated course of to set it up the primary time, however, simple in order for you to do it once more sooner or later. You want the Google Chrome web browser for Mac and a Google account. If you do not have already got it, you possibly can download Chrome right here and signal up for a Google account right here.
How to set up Chrome Remote Desktop on a Mac
- Open Chrome and go to Chrome Remote Desktop within the Chrome Webstore.
- Click Add to Chrome after which Add app.
- Click Allow after which Continue.
- Press Get began underneath My computers and choose Enable distant connections, Accept and install after which OK.
- Double-click the chromeremotedesktop.dmg file in your Downloads folder, then double-click the Chrome Remote Desktop Host.pkg icon that seems in Finder. Click Continue, Install, enter your administrator password and click on OK. Click on Close.
- Return to the Chrome Remote Desktop window and click on OK. Enter a memorable pin and click on OK.
- The Chrome Remote Desktop Host Preferences window opens. Click on the lock icon. Enter your administrator password (click on OK) and your PIN (click on Enable).
- Click OK within the Chrome Remote Desktop window. Close the Chrome Remote Desktop window, Chrome Remote Desktop Host Preferences window and Google Chrome home windows.
Set up Chrome Remote Desktop on an iPad or iPhone
- On your iPad you want to download the Chrome Remote Desktop app.
- Open the app, faucet Sign in and enter your Google ID (the identical Google ID you signed into on Mac)
- Select the proper Mac computer within the My Computers window. Enter the beforehand chosen PIN and faucet Connect.
- There are another wonderful iPad distant management apps out the re, however, most of them cost a month-to-month charge, which is why we’re returning to Chrome Remote Access.
- We take a more in-depth have a look at this method in a separate article: How to Get Free Mac Access from an iPad
Method 4: View Mac on iPad or iPhone with VNC Viewer
Accessing a computer on the identical community as your iPad, iPhone or iPod contact is often only a matter of getting into the native community’s IP deal with or computer title when prompted within the apps mentioned beneath.
However, accessing your computer from exterior the space or workplace is more sophisticated. You should configure your router to move the related ports to the computer you need to join to. You will find online guides.
It’s additionally a good suggestion to configure a dynamic DNS service so as to join utilizing a bunch title somewhat than an IP deal with, which may change shortly. Examples of dynamic DNS providers are NoIP and DuckDNS, that are free, however, how they’re configured is past the scope of this article. There are many manuals out there online – simply search utilizing your router mannequin quantity and “dynamic DNS”.
How to set up your Mac and iPad for display screen sharing
macOS makes use of the established Virtual Network Computing (VNC) protocol to share a desktop remotely, so any iOS app that helps VNC will work. There are fairly a number of of them, however, among the best that can be free is VNC Viewer.
- Before utilizing VNC Viewer, you want to configure the Mac you need to join to: put a check mark subsequent to Screen Sharing within the Sharing part of System Preferences.
- Click the Computer Settings button and ensure there isn’t a check mark subsequent to 1 of many 2 headings you see.
- Note the deal with underneath the Screen Sharing heading: On. You want it so to join. It’s additionally a good suggestion to write down your Mac’s IP deal with in case it does not work: click on on the Apple menu, maintain down Alt (Option on some keyboards) and click on on System Information.
- In the window that seems, click on the Network heading within the record on the left and look subsequent to Wi-Fi or Ethernet on the appropriate, relying on which Mac you might be utilizing.
Connect to your Mac (or PC) from iPad or iPhone
- On the iOS machine, open the VNC Viewer app and click on the plus icon on the prime proper. In the dialog field that seems, kind the deal with you found within the above paragraph, and within the title subject, kind 1 thing memorable and identifiable, resembling Mac Desktop.
- Click Done after which the Connect button. You are warned that you’re utilizing an unencrypted connection. This is unlucky, however, there isn’t a manner to keep away from it, so faucet the Connection link on the prime proper of the window.
- Then you may be requested for the username and password of the Mac account you need to log in to. You should kind the “short” model of your username – often your first title, or the primary entire phrase of the longer model of the username.
- You join instantly and see a tip panel with some management methods. Basically, the mouse cursor is represented by a small dot and also you “slide” it round – for instance, press the display screen and wherever the mouse cursor is positioned it’s going to additionally transfer up. It takes some getting used to. Tapping the display screen corresponds to clicking. Use the pinch gesture to zoom in and out on the desktop.
- Tap the keyboard icon within the toolbar on the prime of the display screen to show a keyboard for typing.
- Tap the X icon on the toolbar to disconnect from the distant Mac.
If you need to join to a Linux desktop, you possibly can install a VNC server bundle (simply check your distro’s bundle archive) and the identical VNC Viewer app can be utilized to join as described above.
Method 5: Connect to Windows computers from iPad or iPhone
Microsoft has a stunning variety of apps out there for iOS, together with Microsoft Remote Desktop. It permits you to remotely join to the desktop of Windows computers. It is free.
Typically Microsoft not all variations of Windows have Remote Desktop compatibility inbuilt; you possibly can read a list of compatible operating systems here.
- Before utilizing Remote Desktop, be certain that it’s activated on the Windows computer you need to entry. You can do that by clicking Start and typing Allow distant entry to your computer.
- Then click on the merchandise proven within the outcomes and click on Allow connections solely from distant desktop computers with network-level authentication (more safe).
- Then click on OK.
- You additionally want to know the IP deal with of the Windows computer. Click Start and kind cmd. Type ipconfig within the DOS field that seems and press Enter. In the output, seek for the road with the IPv4 deal with and make an observation. Then shut the DOS field.
- Launch the Microsoft Remote Desktop app on your iOS machine and click on the plus button within the prime proper nook then choose Add PC or Server. In the PC title subject, kind the beforehand famous IP deal with. Tap the Username subject, then faucet Add consumer account. Now kind the username and password of the Windows computer you need to entry, faucet on Save after which on Save within the mum or dad dialog field. Then faucet the icon to your new connection. You are instantly requested in order for you to settle for the safety certificates. Tap the change subsequent to Don’t Ask Me Again after which faucet Accept.
- You will see the desktop of the distant PC and your fingertip strikes the mouse cursor. To change to contact management, as in the event you have been utilizing a touchscreen PC, faucet the IP Address toolbar on the prime of the display screen and choose the choice on the backside proper of the sidebars that seem. Tap the keyboard icon within the toolbar on the prime of the display screen to open a keyboard for typing.
- To disconnect, faucet the toolbar after which faucet the X to the left of the thumbnail record on the left aspect of the display screen.
Method 6: simply use FaceTime
If all this feels an excessive amount of of a trouble, bear in mind which you can at all times fall again on the straightforward choice. If you each use Macs and need to see what is going on on on their display screen, why not simply allow them to begin a FaceTime name with you after which level the camera on the Mac display screen?
Obviously, this method does not actually permit you to entry or management the display screen, and in order for you to see precisely what is going on on it isn’t the best choice. But if they simply need to present you 1 thing bizarre, the only method is likely to be 1 of the best.