Tired of your Mac making a deafening sound each time you begin it up? Wake up your associate? Even worse, wake up the newborn! Or, horror from horrors, warn your colleagues that you’ve simply arrived at work! You can forestall the Mac from making a sound while you flip it on. Here’s how:
First, this is why you’ll be able to’t forestall your Mac from making a startup sound by leaving your headphones plugged in: The purpose the Mac makes the startup sound – even if in case you have headphones plugged in – is as a result of the default startup sound supply is the exterior speaker.
And the rationale why you’ll be able to’t even press the Volume Down button to mute throughout startup is that the quantity management is software program primarily based and subsequently does not work throughout startup.
However, your Mac can bear in mind the final quantity setting from the second you turned it off. So the trick is to flip the sound in your Mac all the way in which down earlier than shutting it down at evening.
- Just press the mute button (in all probability F10) and switch off the sound instantly earlier than shutting down your Mac, it ought to bear in mind this setting while you flip it again on.
That is likely to be a very good resolution for you, however, what in case you are forgetful and mute your Mac earlier than shutting down is not actually the answer you have been in search of? We have the answer beneath!
Permanently disable the Mac’s startup sound
You can disable the Mac’s startup sound completely with a terminal command.
Here’s how to mute the Mac’s startup sound for good:
- Open a Terminal window by urgent Command + Space, begin typing Terminal and choose that app when it seems.
- Type this command within the terminal window
sudo nvram SystemAudioVolume =% 80
- You should enter your password on the immediate after which press Enter.
- If your Mac boots up now, it should do this quietly.
- If you need to hear the bell once more, you may get it again by typing the next into Terminal:
sudo nvram -d SystemAudioVolume
Another approach to keep away from the startup chime is to merely put your Mac to sleep as a substitute of shutting it down utterly while you’re achieved.
For more helpful Mac ideas, read our greatest Mac ideas, methods, and time financial savings. We even have these useful ideas for Mac customers and hidden methods.