Many readers ask us how we will sync an iPhone with a Mac – or more particularly, with more than 1 Mac or with a new Mac – without erasing the iPhone’s apps, music, pictures, and different files. This function helps precisely with that. Here are 2 methods to sync an iPhone to more than 1 Mac without deleting the content material.
Every time you join iPhone to a new Mac, you’ll get the message “Do you want to erase this iPhone and sync with this iTunes library?” Apple ensures you can solely sync iPhone with 1 Mac at a time. But this function shows you how to sync with more than 1 Mac.
There are 2 methods to sync an iPhone with more than 1 Mac:
- Use a third-party app, comparable to AnyTrans.
- Sync iPhone with more than 1 Mac by manually managing your iPhone. (This will erase the contents.)
It used to be potential to trick iTunes into syncing with more than 1 Mac by copying the Persistent ID key from the library, however, this course of now not works. Apple has additionally honed the way in which it manages iTunes content material, so it wipes content material as quickly as you click on Erase & Sync (as an alternative of ready). So for now plainly utilizing third celebration apps is the most effective answer if you need to hold media in your iPhone or handle music manually for those who do not thoughts beginning with a clean slate.
In this tutorial, we have a look at each strategies.
Sync iPhone without erasing: use AnyTrans
If you may have music, films, TV shows or different files in your iPhone that you don’t need to lose, and also you need to sync iPhone to 1 other Mac (without erasing the music) then you definitely want to use a 3rd celebration app like AnyTrans 4 from iMobie.
AnyTrans permits you to manually handle the content material in your iPhone. You can switch audio, video, pictures, books, podcasts and different content material out of your iPhone to your Mac (or vice versa).
This is the most suitable choice if you do not have a replica of the iPhone content material on a Mac. Use AnyTrans to be sure to have the content material in your iPhone in your Mac.
Read the next: How to download your iTunes library on Mac
Follow these steps to switch music out of your iPhone to your Mac:
- Download AnyTrans from the web site and begin this system. Depending in your Gatekeeper settings, you might want to open System Preferences> Security & Privacy and click on Open Anyway.
- Connect your iPhone to the Mac through the USB cable. Wait for it to join and cargo all content material.
- Wait for AnyTrans to end checking your content material. This could take some time relying on how a lot you may have saved in your iPhone.
- Move the pointer over the arrow icon pointing to iTunes. The phrases Content To iTunes ought to seem. Click it.
- Place a check mark subsequent to the objects you need to switch. Usually you may have music, playlists, films and TV shows (relying on what’s saved in your iPhone).
- Click Start Transfer.
- Wait for the Exporting Media window to end processing. Your media will now be copied from iPhone to your iTunes library.
The media will now be despatched to your copy of iTunes. You can now sync your iPhone with the new Mac or handle your iPhone manually with more than 1 computer.
Sync with more than 1 Mac: handle your iPhone manually
The official methodology of syncing an iPhone to more than 1 Mac is to manually handle the content material. According to the Apple Support web site, “When manually managing content, you can add content from multiple libraries to your iPod or iPad. Even when manually managing music.”
The solely drawback is the preliminary set up, which utterly erases all media from the iPhone. When you click on on ‘Manage Music and Videos Manually’, all content material on iPhone will probably be deleted.
If you do not have a replica of the music in your iTunes library, it’s essential to first use a service like AnyTrans to switch it. Once you’ve got set up your iPhone to manually handle music and video mode, you possibly can switch music from a number of Macs without getting the warning.
Follow these steps to manually handle music and movies in your iPhone:
- Connect the iPhone to your first computer.
- Open iTunes.
- Select the iPhone from the machine menu within the high left nook.
- Click the Summary choice and choose Manually handle music and movies.
- Click on Apply.
You can manually drag and drop the specified music files and movies between your Mac and your iPhone.
Add or take away music and movies manually in your iPhone
When manually managing music and movies, you want to copy the music tracks and video files out of your iTunes library to iPhone. You can copy the files as follows:
- Connect iPhone to Mac and open iTunes.
- Choose Music (or every other media choice).
- Drag media to the left of the window.
- Drop it in your iPhone (underneath Devices).
You can now drag objects from the main window to this sidebar to add them from iTunes to iPhone on a number of Macs. You can use the icons on the high to swap music, films, TV shows and apps.
We even have iTunes points and options the place we accumulate some solutions to the more common questions.