We go to our rooms every day, so why not make them easy to get around? It might seem hard, but my own experience has shown me that a closet kit can make all the difference. It lets you make a storage system with a lot of space that fits your needs and way of life. Whether your dream closet is full of shelves, has a lot of drawers, or has bins that are all the same color, you can be sure that there is a closet kit made just for you.
I’ve found this piece of advice to be very helpful when trying to make the most of your closet: before you start cutting or installing anything, take stock of what you have. Setting yourself up for success is the key. Think about who will use the closet and what kinds of things you’ll be putting in it. This could mean tall rods for your long, elegant dresses, shelves made to hold your sweaters and jeans, or a lot of baskets for your smaller basics. After the first round of cleaning and getting rid of things you don’t need, you’ll have a better idea of what you need.
On my own path, I’ve used and studied a lot of different closet kit models and brands. This careful process was meant to help you make smart decisions by judging each closet kit on important things like size, features, material, customization options, and total value.
Best Closet Kits Comparison Table
Provide actionable advice and suggestions for making the most of the additional space made available by a closet kit, such as the utilization of storage bins, dividers, and hangers.
|Feature||Elfa Closet Starter Kit||ClosetMaid Modular Storage Closet System||Rubbermaid Configurations Closet Kits||Tribesigns Double Rod Free Standing Closet Organizer||CosmoLiving by Cosmopolitan Gwyneth Closet System|
|Type||Customizable Closet System||Modular Storage Closet System||Customizable Closet Kit||Free-Standing Closet Organizer||Modular Closet System|
|Customization Options||Highly customizable||Modular components||Adjustable Shelves, Rods||Adjustable Shelves, Rods, Storage Pockets||Modular components, Shelving Options|
|Number of Hanging Rods||Varies||Varies||Varies||2 (Double Rod)||Varies|
|Additional Accessories Included||Hooks, Baskets, Drawers||Shelves, Rods, Drawers||Shelves, Rods, Accessories||Hanging Rods, Storage Shelves, Shoe Rack||Shelves, Hanging Rods, Drawers, Shoe Rack, Accessory Hooks|
|Latest Deal||–||Check Deal||Check Deal||Check Deal||Check Deal|
List of the Best Closet Kits
Provide information about reputable manufacturers and models of closet kit, with an emphasis on comments from prior purchasers and suggestions from industry professionals. You may make the closet kit conform to your individual preferences in terms of the way it looks and how it is styled by choosing from a wide range of different finishes and hardware options, which are made available by many different manufacturers of closet kit products.
Elfa Closet Starter Kit
|Components||Various shelves and drawers|
|Dimensions||Varies depending on configuration|
|Assembly||Wall-mounted with customizable layout|
|Color Options||White, platinum|
The Elfa system is one that we really like, and there’s a good reason for that: it’s fully modifiable, which makes it simple to really make the most of the space in your closet, pantry, or even garage. It is constructed from aesthetically pleasing epoxy-bonded steel, which is extremely long-lasting, and it is fastened to the wall using a track system and brackets.
The fact that the Elfa system’s design can be altered at any point in time, should it become necessary to do so, is, in our opinion, the best feature of the system. “The system seems versatile enough that if I wanted to upgrade or change things around, it wouldn’t be very challenging now that we know how to install the basics,” said one of the testers. “If I wanted to upgrade or change things around, it wouldn’t be very challenging.”
- Versatile and customizable storage solution.
- High-quality epoxy-bonded steel construction.
- Numerous shelving and drawer options.
- Premium pricing compared to some other options.
ClosetMaid Modular Storage Closet System
|Components||Shelves, drawers, hanging rods|
|Dimensions||Varies depending on configuration|
|Assembly||Freestanding or wall-mounted|
|Color Options||White, espresso|
The ClosetMaid Modular Storage Closet System is always our first choice because it offers so many different storage options at an affordable price. This item is both incredibly strong and aesthetically pleasing because to the use of manufactured wood in its construction and the addition of decorative trim, molding, and full back panels.
In addition to that, it features two garment rods, four drawers, a number of shelves, and even storage for shoes. (Did we mention that you get everything mentioned above for only $580?) Because the system is modular, you may design your reach-in or walk-in closet by combining it with other ClosetMaid products and using this combination. Additionally, you can choose between two different finishes for it.
- Affordable and stylish modular closet system.
- Durable laminate wood construction.
- Various components for customized organization.
- May not be as sturdy as steel-based systems.
Rubbermaid Configurations Closet Kits
|Components||Shelves, hanging rods, shoe racks|
|Dimensions||Varies depending on configuration|
|Assembly||Wall-mounted or freestanding|
|Color Options||Titanium, white|
The Rubbermaid Classic Custom Metal Closet Configuration Storage Kit from the Rubbermaid Configurations line has moved up to the best overall spot because it can be used in many different ways, is easy to change, and is reliable. If you’re organizing your bedroom closet and want a system that can hold rows of hangers and bins of clothing, reorganizing a guest room closet to store linens and bedding, or reorganizing a kid’s space with an eye toward growth like our at-home tester, this set can easily meet your needs. It works in a reach-in or walk-in closet and can fit in places between 3 and 6 feet wide.
It also comes in other sizes. It’s a great deal because it has all of these features at a fair price. The stainless steel is strong and looks nice, and each vertical rod has parallel rows of holes that make it easy to set up and move shelves and rods to your liking. Many systems and kits give you choices for where to put shelves and where to put them on the wall, but this Rubbermaid kit stands out for how simple it is.
- Budget-friendly and versatile closet organization.
- Durable metal wire construction.
- Adjustable shelves and hanging rods.
- Wire construction may not be as visually appealing as wood or laminate.
Tribesigns Double Rod Free Standing Closet Organizer
|Material||Steel frame, fabric cover|
|Configuration||Double hanging rods, shelves|
|Dimensions||59″ W x 17.7″ D x 68.9″ H|
|Color Options||Black, white|
Whether you rent your home and are unable to build a closet system or you just do not have enough space in your existing closets, a standalone closet organizer is an excellent method to maintain order in your belongings. This industrial freestanding unit may slide into a closet for additional storage space or be placed in the open; as a result, it is ideal for use in the garage, the laundry room, or bedrooms that do not have closets.
The five open shelves have a weight capacity of forty pounds apiece and are the perfect place to store items such as footwear, purses, hats, luggage, and ornamental baskets. Because each of the two curtain rods can support up to 50 pounds, and because there is a vertical hanging area of 50 inches, you won’t have to worry about storing lengthy articles of clothes like gowns and jackets.
- Affordable and spacious freestanding closet organizer.
- Sturdy steel frame with a fabric cover.
- Double hanging rods for ample storage.
- May not be as durable as some other options.
CosmoLiving by Cosmopolitan Gwyneth Closet System
|Material||Particleboard, metal frame|
|Components||Shelves, hanging rods, drawers|
|Dimensions||69.13″ W x 74.25″ H x 14.69″ D|
|Color Options||White, gray|
If you have a significant number of articles of clothing, accessories, and shoes that need to be stored in your closet, investing in a closet organization system that is on the more expensive end of the price spectrum is unquestionably money well spent.
This is especially important to keep in mind if your closet is somewhat spacious. In addition, given that everything in your room is tied to the wall, it creates the illusion that your room is significantly larger than it really is. This system, which includes drawers, shelves, and rods for hanging clothes, is quite probably the most failsafe way to preserve order in your belongings. It comes with all of the necessary components.
- Stylish and modern closet system with a touch of elegance.
- Durable particleboard and metal frame construction.
- Versatile components for organization.
- Higher price point due to its premium design.
The Benefits of Upgrading to a Closet Kit
Upgrading to a closet kit can give you a lot of benefits and make your closet space more stylish and less cluttered. Here are some of the main benefits of switching to a closet kit:
- Better for keeping things in order: Closet kits are made with planning in mind. They come with a variety of parts, like shelves, hanging rods, drawers, and cubbies, that help you organize your things and put them away neatly. Say goodbye to closets that are crowded and messy.
- Space Made the Most of: Closet kits are designed to make the most of the space you have in your closet. They use every space, including vertical room, to store things as well as possible. This is especially helpful in rooms that are small or have an odd shape.
- Customization: Most closet kits are very easy to change to fit your needs. You can change the parts to fit your own wants. You can design your closet to fit everything, whether you love shoes, have a lot of handbags, or need more room to hang clothes.
- Aesthetic improvement: Closet kits usually have stylish designs and finishes that make your closet look better. You can pick materials and colors that match your home’s style and your own, giving your closet a polished and well-put-together look.
Tips for Organizing Your Closet with a Closet Kit
Using a closet kit to order your closet can turn it into a neat and useful place to store things. Here are some tips that will help you get the most out of your closet kit:
- First, clean up: Before you put your closet kit together, you should clean out your closet. Give away or get rid of things you no longer want or need. Having a clean start makes it much easier to organize.
- Plan and Check: Count how much room you have in your closet. Think about how big your closet is and how big the parts of the closet kit you want to put are. Planning makes sure that everything works well together.
- Group the same things: Sort your dresses, shirts, pants, shoes, and other items into groups like dresses, shirts, pants, shoes, and accessories. When you put similar things together, it’s easier to figure out where to put them in your closet kit.
- Accessibility should come first: Store things you use often at eye level or where they are easy to get to. Keep seasonal items or things you don’t use often on higher and lower shelves.
Questions and Answers
Many closet kits are easy to put together on your own and come with clear directions. But if you don’t feel safe doing things yourself, you can choose to have a professional do it for you. Some manufacturers or retailers offer this service.
Most of the time, closet kits are cheaper and easier to put together than custom-built cabinets. They are a simple and inexpensive way to improve closet organization without having to do a lot of work.
Yes, some closet kits do include things like shoe racks, tie and belt holders, and jewelry trays. These can help you make a customized way to store certain things.