There are three Apple TVs: the Apple TV, the Apple TV app and the Apple TV + Streaming Service. Regardless of which query you are attempting to discover out, we are going to strive to reply your questions beneath. If you need to run the TV app on your Mac, we’ll inform you how; if you’d like to get the Apple TV + streaming applications on your Mac, look no additional; and in case you are on the lookout for a approach to join your Apple TV to your Mac, we’ll talk about that too. We even talk about a approach to stream the content material on your iPhone, e.g. photographs, on the display screen of your Mac. So hopefully we lined you all!
Apple TV and the Mac
When we first wrote this story, the Apple TV was a gadget for streaming photographs and movies out of your iPad, iPhone or Mac to a TV display screen. It will be used to watch streaming companies on your TV by means of varied apps you could get within the Apple TV retailer, together with Netflix, iPlayer, and so on. Then Apple launched the TV app on Apple TV, iPhone, and iPad, and it turned even simpler to discover one thing to view on these Apple merchandise since you may simply seek for a program to discover out which of your completely different subscription companies and on demand channels had it.
The Mac missed the TV app for a whereas. That was particularly ironic in view of the truth that a few years in the past a Mac app known as Front Row really did what the TV app does now: all of your films, TV shows and music on your Mac. It was unusual that Apple did not appear to suppose that folks would need to view any such media on the superb Retina show of the Mac. Others might have thought-about utilizing a Mac mini as a media heart – one thing that was common for that Mac within the days of Front Row.
That was why folks this story. They needed to discover a approach to get the Apple TV app on their Mac or for a similar cause to discover a approach to join their Apple TV to their Mac. But that has modified for 2 causes. First, Apple has bought the TV app for the Mac. And second: with the arrival of Apple’s new streaming service, Apple TV +, more individuals are attempting to discover out how to watch Apple TV on a Mac than ever earlier than.
There are nonetheless folks on the lookout for a approach to join an iPhone or iPad to their Mac in order that they will stream from the iOS gadget to the Mac, so we’ll have a look at that too.
How to get the TV app and Apple TV + on the Mac
In October for 2020, Apple lastly launched the TV app on the Mac with the arrival of macOS Catalina. If you install Catalina, you’re going to get the TV app and thereby entry to the brand new TV + streaming service that was launched on November 1, for 2020.
If you need to get the TV app on your Mac, you could install Catalina on a Mac that helps Catalina. We talk about right here how to install Catalina.
These Macs help Catalina:
- MacE-book fashions from early 2015 or later
- MacE-book Air fashions from mid-2012 or later
- MacE-book Pro fashions from mid-2012 or later
- Mac mini fashions from the top of 2012 or later
- iMac fashions from the top of 2012 or later
- iMac Pro (all fashions)
- Mac Pro fashions from the top of 2013
You can every little thing about the shows Apple makes for the Apple TV + service, together with how you possibly can watch them on your Apple TV and how you possibly can use the TV app right here on your iPhone or iPad.
If you need to signal up for the Apple TV + subscription service, you are able to do so within the TV app, together with the primary 7 days without cost on a trial interval. If you will have just lately bought a new Mac, iPhone or iPad, you possibly can qualify without cost for a complete 12 months on TV +! Otherwise it’s £ 4.99 / $ 4.99 per 30 days.
How to use the TV app on the Mac
That’s how you will get the Apple TV app on your Mac, then we’ll see how you possibly can use it on the Mac.
The TV app, together with the brand new music app that has additionally arrived in Catalina, replaces iTunes on your Mac. It incorporates all the flicks and applications that you’ve got beforehand bought from the iTunes Store, links to applications and films that you could be discover attention-grabbing and you could entry in varied apps and streaming companies (not simply these from Apple) and channels, which third-party streaming companies can signal up for within the TV app.
We discover that the TV app on the Mac is barely more restricted than on the iPhone, iPad and Apple TV, as a result of there are fewer Mac apps to view content material. For instance, in the event you seek for Peppa Pig on the iPhone TV app you will notice quite a few choices underneath How to View, together with My 5, Netflix, Buy from iTunes, Prime Video. But within the TV app on the Mac, the one choice is to purchase the seasons from Apple.
This can change if third-party streaming companies make apps for the Mac. This might be a by-product from Apple making it simpler to convert iPad apps to the Mac. We hold our fingers crossed.
It’s simple to purchase and hire from the iTunes Store within the new TV app on the Mac. However, this was all the time the case – you beforehand had entry to the iTunes Store to buy and hire films and such by way of the iTunes app.
To open the TV app on the Mac, click on the TV brand in your Dock or press Command + Space and begin typing TV.
At the highest are varied tabs: Watch Now, Movies, TV Shows, Children and Library.
If you scroll down, you may see Up Next, the place you will discover the shows you are watching; TV + by which the Apple shows and movies are proven; a part with movies explaining how you possibly can use the app; a promotion for movies provided at a low cost; New films; TV We Love; New and memorable; Buzzowthy TV; Apple TV channels; More to uncover; and so on.
The level is that on the Mac these are all alternative ways to show your content material that’s accessible within the iTunes Store. On the Apple TV set-top field, iPhone and iPad you possibly can see different third-party content material right here.
In the US, you may see shows accessible on the opposite streaming companies for which you’re registered, assuming you will have registered by way of the TV app. But no, no less than within the UK there are so few companies which were registered as channels that the content material appears very weighted to Apple.
Assuming you simply need to view one thing that you’ve got beforehand bought within the iTunes Store, simply click on on Library. You are invited to log in to your Apple account. Once you’ve got completed this, you may see all of your shows and films that you have beforehand bought on iTunes.
Download Apple TV + on the Mac
Although it’s annoying that the TV app on the Mac doesn’t include all of the capabilities of the iPhone, iPad and Apple TV model, it no less than gives the brand new applications that Apple distributes by way of the Apple TV + streaming service .
Registering with the Apple TV + streaming service on the Mac is simple.
- Scroll to the TV + part and click on Try it without cost.
- Choose your present from the gives (The Morning Show, See, Dickinson, and so forth.)
- Click Play Episode.
- Your trial interval begins as quickly as you begin streaming.
- After the top of the trial interval you can be signed up for the subscription package deal for £ 4.99 / $ 4.99 per 12 months.
If you aren’t eager about a subscription, : How to get Apple TV + without cost.
Stream content material from an iPad or iPhone to your Mac
However, it’s not solely the content material accessible on the Apple TV that you could be need to have the opportunity to watch on your Mac. You might have an iPad or iPhone and need to stream content material from that to the display screen on your Mac. You might want to do this in case your TV display screen is smaller than that of your 27-inch iMac.
Fortunately, there are a few choices for streaming out of your iPhone or iPad to your Mac, so though you possibly can’t use the Apple TV interface on your Mac but, you possibly can stream virtually the identical content material to it.
You could be forgiven in the event you suppose it’s potential to stream content material out of your iPhone or iPad to your Mac with AirPlay. AirPlay is obtainable on all three units and permits you to stream out of your iPhone or iPad to your TV by way of your Apple TV. So the truth that you possibly can’t simply stream content material out of your iPhone or iPad to your Mac looks like a unusual omission.
Fortunately, it’s potential to stream from an iOS gadget to a Mac, however to do that, you want to install an app on your Mac.
There are a few you possibly can select from, AirServer or Reflector, we have a look at each beneath.
Want to know more about the following Apple TV and when it could be launched? More data right here. You may additionally be eager about realizing which TV units work with AirPlay with out the necessity for an Apple TV.
Reflector, which you’ll be able to download right here, has a free trial interval of seven days or prices $ 14.99. This permits you to mirror your iPhone, iPad to the display screen of your Mac (and different units).
- Download and install the Reflector software program on your Mac (you will notice a message that warns you about putting in, however as a result of we all know it’s a official app, it is best to do properly to open it).
- If you solely use the trial model, you possibly can click on on Try Reflector 3. Otherwise, buy the software program and enter the license key. (If you use the trial model, you will notice watermarks and time out after seven days).
- You is not going to see an interface, however it is best to see the Reflector icon within the dock and the Reflector choices ought to seem within the menu. However, you do not want to do something right here.
- While Reflector is operating on your Mac, flip to your iPhone or iPad, open every little thing you need to stream, and faucet the Share icon (the sq. with an arrow sticking out).
- Choose AirPlay.
- You now see the choice to stream to your Mac, which you are able to do as quickly as you enter the AirPlay code that seems on the display screen of your Mac.
AirServer has a free 14-day trial interval that additionally has a watermark – though this time the watermark shouldn’t be that intrusive. You can download it right here.
- Download and install – as above, you could approve the app earlier than it’s put in as a result of it’s not downloaded from the Mac App Store. You may additionally have to permit AirServer to “Manage your computer” within the safety and privateness settings.
- Again, you will not see an interface, this time the one indication that AirSever is operating on your Mac is sharing an icon within the menu bar that appears a bit just like the AirDrop or sharing icons on a Mac.
- If you now open your iPhone and iPad and discover what you need to stream to your Mac, faucet the Share icon and select AirPlay.
- Again, you will notice your Mac as an choice to stream as properly. Tap that icon and it’ll begin streaming straight away – with out coming into a code.
For more recommendation on utilizing the Apple TV, : How to set up the Apple TV.
How to join an Apple TV to a Mac
Regarding the use of an Apple TV with a Mac, when you can stream content material out of your Mac to your TV display screen by means of your Apple TV, you can’t stream content material out of your Apple TV to your Mac.
As we stated above, in the event you occur to have a computer display screen with an HDMI port, you possibly can join it to your Apple TV and use it in the identical approach as your TV display screen, as we’ve beneath.