So you need to delete your Gmail tackle in favor of Apple iCloud. Good resolution (though we take a look at just a few explanation why you do not want to take such drastic measures beneath).
If you’ve got determined you do not need to maintain utilizing your Gmail account, it is easy to copy all of your current Google emails to your iCloud Mail folders. And as soon as you’ve got executed that, you’ll be able to ask Gmail to ahead future emails to your Apple electronic mail tackle. Below we clarify how.
How to copy your Gmail emails to iCloud
1) Start by setting up Mail in your Mac, iPhone or iPad to settle for your Gmail emails. This article explains how to set up your Apple Mail app to settle for Gmail: How to set up Mail.
2) If you’ve gotten folders in Gmail that you really want to replicate in iCloud, you want to set them up earlier than copying your emails. Here’s how to create a new folder within the iCloud mail part of your Mail app:
- On a Mac, right-click iCloud (beneath Inbox) and choose New Mailbox. Choose a reputation on your mailbox, for instance Gmail archive. The folder will seem later within the iCloud on the left.
- On an iOS system, go to Mailboxes> Edit after which select New mailbox. Name the mailbox and select iCloud as the placement.
3) Now you might be prepared to copy the Gmail emails you need to maintain to the new folder in iCloud. It’s greatest to copy relatively than drag and drop in case something goes flawed in the course of the course of. To copy the emails in Mail on a Mac, choose the emails within the Gmail folder, proper click on and select Copy To then select the folder you simply set up. To copy the emails on an iOS system, faucet Edit and choose the emails you need to copy (or Mark all), then select Move and select the folder you’ve gotten set up. (You can copy the emails to your inbox if you happen to do not want a separate folder).
4) Once your emails have been copied (watch out, it could take some time if in case you have a big electronic mail account) you need to be in a position to safely take away Gmail out of your Mail app.
- On a Mac, go to Mail> Accounts, choose the Gmail tackle and click on the minus button and ensure that you really want to disable Account.
- On an iOS system, go to Settings> Email> Accounts, faucet the Gmail account, then select Delete account.
At this level, you’ve gotten the emails out of your Gmail account in your iCloud account and you could possibly go away it at that, by no means open your Gmail once more. Except it’s doubtless that some emails will likely be despatched to that account that you do not need to miss.
You will both want to change the e-mail tackle to which these emails will likely be despatched (which is the case by going by way of your subscriptions and contacting friends and colleagues) or, by far the simpler possibility, forwarding electronic mail in Gmail configure.
Set up electronic mail forwarding from Gmail to iCloud
Of course chances are you’ll not need to obtain the Gmail emails once more, possibly you threw that account out a very long time in the past and it’s now filled with spam, by which case you’ll be able to simply shut your Gmail account, which is an easy 1 in In case of logging into your account, scroll down to the Account Preferences part and select Delete Your Account or Services.
However, if you would like to ahead the emails despatched right here, you want to do that:
1) Go to gmail.com click on the gear after which Settings and select the Forwarding tab and POP / IMAP.
2) Enter your iCloud tackle when requested for forwarding tackle.
3) You will obtain an electronic mail to confirm the permission. You should add a verification code earlier than electronic mail forwarding begins. If you later resolve that you do not need to ahead these emails additional, click on Remove Address.
4) Now all emails despatched to your Gmail account will likely be redirected to your iCloud tackle.
Why you do not have to cease Gmail
If your solely cause for combining your Gmail and iCloud accounts was since you needed to open all of your emails from 1 place, it won’t be obligatory to transfer your emails from 1 to 1 other.
The simplest way to mix your 2 electronic mail addresses is to use Apple’s Mail app. You can entry this on a Mac or on an iPhone or iPad. You can set Mail to present each your iCloud electronic mail and Gmail within the app.
Both electronic mail accounts may even share the identical inbox, and you’ll set guidelines to filter emails despatched to each addresses. If this appears like it might really clear up your downside, read: Set up electronic mail on a Mac, iPhone or iPad.
You could have 1 more reason to flip your again on Gmail. A colleague as soon as insisted on utilizing an iCloud electronic mail tackle as an alternative of a Gmail tackle as a result of he was certain Apple wasn’t sniffing at his emails and focusing on adverts for his or her content material, whereas Google is understood to scan your emails for promoting functions (though if you happen to pay to use the Google Apps for Work model, you should not).
Apple, alternatively, prioritizes and brags about your privateness website that “all traffic between every email app you use and our iCloud mail servers is encrypted. And our iCloud servers support encryption during transmission with other email providers that support it.”
Another cause to change from Gmail is perhaps the easy indisputable fact that as an proprietor of a number of Apple devices you want to use iCloud electronic mail, however, as we confirmed you above, it is vitally simple to get your Gmail account to your Mail app, and receiving Gmail is not any completely different from receiving iCloud emails the re. Plus, if in case you have each an iCloud and a Gmail tackle, you’re going to get more GB of free cupboard space on your emails, so we suggest that you simply benefit from this.
We even have recommendation on how to cease spam in Mac Mail and a number of the greatest Mail alternate options for Mac customers.